Frequently Asked Questions We answer any questions or curiosities related to Canada eTA Visa.
Q What is an Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA)?
A eTA is a new entry requirement for visa-exempt foreign nationals travelling to Canada by air. This entry requirement will become mandatory on March 15, 2016. It will allow Canada to screen travelers before they arrive. The authorization is electronically linked to your passport and is valid for five years or until your passport expires, whichever comes first.
Q Who needs an eTA?
A Only those applicants who are the holder of an ETA eligible passport of the following countries shown below can apply.

Andorra, Australia, Austria, Bahamas, Barbados, Belgium, British - Citizen, British - National (Overseas), British - Overseas Citizen, Brunei Darussalam, Bulgaria, Chile, Croatia, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Holy See (Vatican City State), Hong Kong SAR, Hungary, Iceland, Ireland, Israel, Italy, Japan, Korea, Republic of, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Mexico, Monaco, Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Papua New Guinea, Poland, Portugal, Samoa, San Marino, Singapore, Slovakia, Slovenia, Solomon Islands, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, Taiwan, Province of China

And also the following foreign nationals can apply an eTA:

  • - Persons who have been lawfully admitted to the United States for permanent residence (United States Permanent Residents).
  • - British overseas citizen who is re-admissible to the United Kingdom
  • - Holder of a passport or travel document issued by the Holy See.
  • - Holder of a national Israeli passport.
  • - Holder of a passport issued by the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region of the People’s Republic of China.
  • - Holder of a passport issued by the United Kingdom to a British National (Overseas), as a person born, naturalized or registered in Hong Kong.
  • - Holder of an ordinary passport issued by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs in Taiwan that includes the personal identification number of the individual. Note: Taiwanese citizens who hold a passport issued by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs in Taiwan that does not include their personal identification number need a visa to come to Canada.
Q I will enter Canada by land or sea. Do I need an eTA?
A No. You will not need an eTA when you enter Canada by land or sea. You will only need an eTA when you fly to Canada. If you are from a visa-required country, you will need to have a valid visa no matter how you arrive. Find out how to apply for a visa.
Q I will transit by air through Canada. Do I need an eTA?
A Passengers transiting Canada will need an eTA or a visa, regardless of the length of time in Canada. Travellers whose planes refuel in Canada going to and from the United States, as well as participants in the China Transit Program and Transit Without Visa Program, do not need to have an eTA or a visa to transit Canada.
Q I am a permanent resident of Canada. Do I need an eTA if I leave and want to return to Canada by air?
A No, you will not need an eTA if you are a permanent resident of Canada. When eTA becomes mandatory on March 15, 2016, you will need to travel with your permanent resident card of Canada. Otherwise, you may not be able to board your flight to Canada.
Q What do I need when I fill out the application?
A To make an application for an eTA through the ETA website you need your valid passport, email address, and a credit card.
Q Do I have to apply for an eTA each time I travel to Canada?
A No. Once approved, your eTA is valid for five years or until your passport expires – whichever comes first. You can come to Canada as many times as you wish as long as your eTA remains valid.
Q Do I need to apply for an eTA before I book my airline ticket?
A We recommend that you submit your eTA application before you buy your airline ticket. This way, if you encounter any difficulties when you apply, you can resolve any issues before you book your flight. In most cases, the eTA will be issued in minutes, which will not delay your flight booking. However, some requests may need more time to process.
Q Can more than one person, including dependents, be included in an eTA application?
A No. Each person must submit a separate eTA application. If your child or children appear on your passport, a separate eTA application must be submitted for each child.
Q Are there any age exemptions for eTA?
A No. All eTA-required travellers, regardless of their age, will need an eTA when they fly to Canada.
Q How long will it take to process my eTA application?
A In most cases, applicants will receive a confirmation within 12 hours. However, some requests may need more time to process.
Q Do I have to print anything to prove that I have an eTA?
A No. An eTA is electronically linked to your passport. You will need to travel with the passport you used to apply for your eTA.
Q What happens if I get a new passport after I have received an eTA?
A If you get a new passport, you will need to get a new eTA. Your eTA is electronically linked to your passport.
Q What can I do if I make a mistake in my application?
A - It is important that you are very careful when you enter your personal details.
You will have an opportunity to review all the details you have provided and can change the details at any time until you confirm all details as correct.
- If you made a mistake on the application, you must edit your information and process.
When you process your payment after reviewing your information, there will be no refunds available.
- If you find a mistake on your Authorized eTA, you will have to re-apply for a new application. (Additional fees may occur)
Q My application for an eTA was refused. Can I get a refund?
A No. All application fees are non-refundable.
Q Does having an eTA automatically mean that I am allowed to enter Canada?
A No. An eTA will facilitate your entry into Canada. When you arrive at the border, a border services officer will ask to see your passport or travel documents and ask you a few questions. The officer will then decide if you can enter the country.
Q What do I do if my application for an eTA is not approved right away?
A While most eTA will be issued in minutes, some may take longer to process. In a small number of cases, more information may be needed before the application is approved. CIC will contact you via email and advise you of the next steps. This may include a request for:
• Additional information or documents, or
• An in-person interview at the nearest Canadian visa office.
Q Why am I not receiving e-mails?
A Make sure that the e-mail you use is still valid, and make sure if your mail is not full.
Check your e-mail spam folder on a regular basis to ensure messages.


After your application is submitted and ETA is viewable on the status page, or get an Authorized ETA,
cancellation is not available and customers may not request for a refund.
The service completed before process of approval or on hold), cancellation and refund requests are available.
- Cancellation and Refund Requirements : During your applications are submitted and is still in the process of waiting for an approval, cancellation and refund requests are available.
* After the process of approval or on hold, Section 1 will be applied.
Cancellations and refunds will be processed within a day of the request.